Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What fruits are you producing?

Sitting on the porch the other night, I talked with my dad about many things, as we sometimes do. We were talking about how you can never know a man's heart, only G-d can. Then, I brought up that we could know a man by the fruits he produced, as the Bible says.

To this my dad replied with something that dumbfounded me... "What fruits have you produced?"

I didn't know what to say... I was racking my brain for something... anything... I eventually named off a few things I could think of and we continued our conversation. However, this stuck with me. I think it is a question that we should daily be asking ourselves. "What fruit am I producing?" and maybe even with every action, "what fruit will this produce?"

The Bible says "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (Matthew5:14-16) and 2 Corinthians 5:20 calls us "Christ's representatives." If we are looked at as representatives of Christ, we need to be aware of what fruit we are producing and showing to the world.

I found myself at a lack of words with this question and realized, a plant producing no fruit is just as bad as one producing bad fruit, both are worthless and will be pulled up. I could eventually think of some fruit I had produced, but I realized this is not something I have ever had to think of before.

Remember to ask yourself "What fruit am I producing?"

John 15:2
"He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes"
Matthew 7:15-20
"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."

Photobucket

3 comments:

leanna said...

does zebediah count as a fruit? :)

Mr. National said...

Great question.

I enjoyed this post, the picture helped me, instantly determine something in my own life.

AS I read through your post, I agreed with much of it. However, you being a wise person I'm sure you won't mind me bringing up this correction. You say, "It is just as bad to bear no fruit at all, then to bear bad fruit." And I would say to you that it is much worse to produce bad fruit, for this will condemn you, and it is much better to produce no fruit at all, if you can not produce good fruit.

For what we speak is our fruit. And if one is an evil man, it is better that he not speak at all... for his words will surely condemn him.

Just a thought. Great post.

Vinton J Bayne said...

I do, see that point. I guess I was more thinking the end is the same, they are both against God's will.

I just wasn't thinking of it that way when I wrote the post, but yes, a person who is bringing evil into the word is probably doing more damage than a person who claims to be a Christian and does nothing.

But God is very against hypocrites, double-minded and luke warm people. The Bible talks about the more you know and the less you do, there more you will be judged.

So I agree, with you, the bad fruit brings more evil into the world. But the end of both is harsh judgement.

However, off the top of my head the thought occurs to me, a Christian that does nothing, brings a bad name for the Church, and Christ and pushes people farther from God, so maybe it's worse than I was even thinking just now... hmmm, something I'll have to think about more.

Thanks for your comment!